Sunday, 15 May 2011

updates and rants. Ooh goody.

hmmmm, what has been going on chez nous since my last post...?  We have slipped back into a bit of a routine with home edding, which has been a relief after the extended Easter/bank hols to tell you the truth.  I feel all out of sorts with too many weird holidays.  Oliver does a picture crossword every day, as his spelling is not great, but think that's down to me pushing him to read by word recognition rather than phonically.  Hence he can read pretty well, but he just would not be able to sit down and write a passage of - well - writing. His actual writing (when he thinks about it) is really well formed.  So the picture crosswords are helping a lot with his confidence in spelling and understanding the general rules of bonkers English.  Maths is still excellent, the Saxon maths book is working really well for him and he is confident of his ability with numbers, which helps.  Still going with the Story Of The World 2 (Susan Wise Bauer), what's not to like? And Oliver is really enjoying Science and Spanish lessons at the hut on a weekly basis.  Physical efforts are taken care of with Judo and Swimming.  He has just attained his first orange bar in Judo, and thrashes his way up and down the pool quite impressively with various swimming strokes and seems he will move up to level 6 soon.  But, best of all these things - he likes people.  He enjoys all his clubs because he likes being with people - all sorts of people.  And I love that.  I feel intensely proud that he doesn't judge people (like I do) and that he seems able to tolerate and accept people's funny little ways (like I don't) and that he doesn't seek to criticise (like I do).  He doesn't seem to have that 'mean streak' that kids pick up from being at school, that little touch of playground savvy that keeps you OK in the dog eat dog world of state education.  I keep telling him to be aware that not all kids will be nice to him, some kids will be out and out mean.  Don't expect it, but don't be surprised by it.  Recognise it, but don't accept it as your responsibility or fault.  And if it makes you feel bad - shun it.  If it's really too bad - come and see me and I'll kick some ass.  Ha ha.

But, I won't always be able to steam in and make it better for him. I read in a Jodi Picoult book once about the feeling of helplessness about protecting your child.  It was something like,  it seems impossible that two people (ie parents) can protect a child from all the dangers in the world.  As they get older, the hazards just change - they don't get any less....  Something to look forward to there, then. 

Talking of books, I have been buying a few old favourites (which I must have ditched over the years) from Amazon:

- Under The Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes.  Makes me want to up sticks and move to Italy immediately.
- A Short Walk From Harrods by Dirk Bogarde.  I love his books - used to have them all - and this was my favourite.
- Past Caring by Robert Goddard.  He is a brilliant storyteller - this was the first one I ever read of his, and love how he weaves in historical events with the tale.
- The Fifth Summer by Titia Sutherland.  Based around a family holiday in Italy - great.

Now to ranting.  I used to read Judy Astley (Muddy Waters, Just For The Summer - brilliant) but she just got 'got', I think, by her publishers to churn out more similar stuff - and it got shit.  Her latest reads are flimsy, frothy, girly shite - and, I hate this genre - CHICK LIT.  Chick lit is shit.  And that's a fact.  I am sick to death of row upon row of books at the library about females in their 20s/30's behaving like bimbos about getting the handsome and sexy man.  The female leads are all, without exception, pretty, scatty and looking for Mr Right.  Or - the other current favourite is a group of unconnected people all co-incidentally meeting up at a holiday villa/dilapidated pile in the Scotland/evening class for dullards.  Irritating and lightweight.  Shame on you ladies.  Even the great Joanna Trollope, Queen of the Aga Saga, has fallen foul of the pink and fluffy paragraph with some of her latest offerings.  Tsk tsk. 

More talking of books, I found out that one of Oliver's friends is reading his way through Harry Potter.  His Mum was lamenting yesterday about waiting for the next one to come in at the library.  I said that I had them all and she was welcome to borrow them, and her delight made me feel a bit small.  I completely take it for granted that if I want a book - I can just go and buy it.  The financial demands of one kid is completely different to those of several children, and waiting for a book to become available at the library is something I have had not needed to experience.  As I was at work, I left the books for her to collect when she dropped Oliver off last night, along with a note urging her to keep them as long as necessary.  She text to say her boy was thrilled, had run all the way home (it's not far away!) with the next book and was now head deep into the Goblet Of Fire.  I felt quite moved to have been able to spread such pleasure in such an easy way, and humbled by the recognition of my own, very fortunate circumstances.

So to baking.  Had a go at the great P&B book a couple of days ago - carrot and coconut fairy cakes with cream cheese frosting.  Well - I didn't have enough carrots, so I chucked in a courgette, and they came out like very robust muffins - nothing fairy about my cakes, let me tell you.  Anyhow, they were greatly improved by a generous topping of heart-stopping butter, cream cheese and a box of icing sugar.  Yesterday they were whisked off to the Scouts coffee morning and book sale along with a banana cake and ubiquitous cream cheese topping.  The banana cake was the first sale of the day - the whole cake for £4.50!!! I am so chuffed, it is embarrassing.  Now, where did I put that WI application.....

3 comments:

  1. Carrots in a fairy cake is bad enough, but a courgette too - hmmm.

    Saying that, I am going to help Becky make a beetroot chocolate cake tomorrow, should be interesting x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear not, the courgette was grated, not whole....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice.. I so agree with your sentiments about wishing you could protect them forever, and true, it doesn't go away, just changes, even when my eldest girl had her two girls, the trials and tribulations of ante natal and then labour! And as for books..agree agree agree, though generally have to save any up for holidays, never settle to them at home so well. And yes, just love having them on my shelf, knowing where I was when I enjoyed that one..xx

    ReplyDelete