It was SIL's birthday at the weekend. When the mag Mollie Makes came out last year, she and I were swept along with the whole vintage/crafty loveliness of it all, but quickly tired of the twee-ness and ridiculous impossibility of ever achieving a home/style anything like it, so 'we' stopped buying it.
I thought these 'apple jackets' were a bloody marvellous idea for little girlies to take their apples to school in their lunchboxes, and I still love love LOVE them. SIL thought they were the work of the devil. From that moment, she was getting one. The day before her birthday, having purchased and wrapped her gift, I remembered the apple jacket, and amidst much cursing, frantic trawling t'internet and a touch of eye strain, under pressure I cobbled together this:
I don't much like the colour now, and Lordy knows why I thought it would be perfect, but there you have it. The anticipation of the eye-rolling, the resigned sighing. Oh, money cannot buy such moments of perfect wickedness.
Although I don't always subscribe to the heart-skippity hooky love on Lucy's blog, I will confess to being a trifle envious of her home and ability to make pretty stuff. I have shamelessly used her patterns to make my granny stripe, my ripple and my big blanket squares. I have also used her tutorial to join said squares, so, yay for her despite the skippity-deeing. A little while ago she made a hanging decoration - the happy flower. At the time I was partaking in a little eyeball rolling of my own at the seemingly pointless effort of making such a thing, but - lo! A couple of days ago I was suddenly seized by the urge to have one of my own. (I blame SIL - it cropped up casually during an idle meandering conversation with her). Yesterday, in an almost fit of needing to Start A New Project, I sat for a lengthy time (can't be more specific than that, it's embarrassing), and hooked up this:
It almost resembles the real thing. It made Mark roll the 'ol peepers, so I know I am on the right track.
The puss cats after being stuck out all night in the deluge:
The suite life, for sure. (See what I did there?)


LOL had a similar conversation with daughter #1 re mug warmers and a vase warmer and she really can't see the point in them (though I agree with the vase thing) so knitting her a set of mug warmers for when she moves into a house in Sept is on my list of must do's. I know she will love them once she has tried them :D Have to admit the apples coats are kinda cute!!
ReplyDeleteThis did make me laugh! That apple jacket is wonderful! I adore the little acorn button you've finished it off with. I want one!
ReplyDeleteIn my old age (40 something and counting!) I do feel there are times when just making something because it's fun / pretty / quirky even if not obviously "useful", has its merits. I don't think as adults we play as much as we ought. And actually although play is apparently not a "useful" activity, in the ordinary sense of the word for children, they learn an awful lot from it, perhaps more sometimes than from the "useful" stuff. I wonder whether that may be true for adults too. Actually of course the apple jacket is useful as I suspect it cushions it against bruising in transit rather nicely! If I were your SIL that present with its echoes of a shared laugh and the fact you remembered and made one would make my birthday.
And go for it with the Happy Flower decoration - it's lovely and if there's a bit of masculine eye-rolling, as you say, you know you are on the right track!
Elizabeth x