Monday, 25 June 2012

Happy Birthday to me, me, me.

Yes, it's that special time again.  Although, I don't 'feel' it as I have done in previous years.  I usually always carry that 'special little buzz' inside on June 25th, but this year, it is missing.  And I don't even feel alarmed about it.  I think it's to do with growing up and stuff.  Same old, same old.  Still, birthdays are nice, and I like mine. 

My parents kindly transferred some dosharooney into my paypal account last Friday, which I used to 'win' a Cath Kidston bag (small one) on Ebay, in which I intend to keep a little crochet project-on-the-go.  I have lost count of the number of times I have found myself waiting in the car killing time while Oliver finishes some club or other and cursing my lack of forethought in having a crochet hook and yarn in the glove compartment.   No more the cursing.

I also (through a bit of whining it has to be said) badgered Mark and Oliver to give me gifts over the weekend (before my actual birthday as we were away in Cornwall) because I knew there were crochet books involved.  This proved a bit pointless since I had very little yarn with me, and nothing suitable to even have a little practice run.  In fact, last night, (during the England football debacle) I ran out of yarn for the daisy ripple.  Zut alors.  The rest of the night was spent biting my nails in cross agitation.

I also got Victorian Farm on DVD, which I have wanted for ages - it's soooo interesting and the Christmas episode is sooooo cosy.  Would have been a completely shit time to have lived that way though - so much hard work.  I wouldn't have lasted five minutes.

And I have been hankering after a teapot for a little while.  I had in my mind what I wanted - a pretty one, an old-ish one, not an expensive one and through luck and a following wind, we stumbled across a crockery stall in a market in Redruth yesterday.  It cost - wait for it - £1.  Happy days.  It will be so lovely on my dresser (which I don't have yet nor have any real hope of getting for some time).



AND - tres exciting, I had a gift to open when I came home today from the lovely Elizabeth aka
 Mrs Thomasina Tittlemouse.  It was......

This!





I love this sort of gift.  Something lovely and pretty which I would not have (or could not have, in this case) made for myself.  More happy days!

We had a really nice weekend down in North Cornwall.  We stayed at a quiet site near Newquay and although the weather took a shocking turn Saturday teatime and hammered it down all night, we got to do stuff.



Happy days indeed.


4 comments:

  1. Janice, thanks for the lovely note.. what weather we had on Saturday night, lucky it was a cravan and not a tent.. it wasn't a tent was it!?
    Not sure I lay back and enjoy being in Cornwall as much as I should, but I have fondness for Exeter too as I was there atUni, a similar nostalgia! Love that teapot, you must have a great mix in your kitchen! Been meaning to ask if you ever got the Project Life thing going, Jennie from our challenge does a lot and I am tempted as scrapping always leaves me way behind because I want to achieve more than I can in the time I allocate! Xxxx come see me next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Project Life.....er, no. After waiting what felt like forever to buy it, when it got here - I thought it a bit too twee for my taste and never used it. Sold it again. Duh. However - it IS a good idea and I may yet revisit it......

      Delete
  2. Birthdays do change over time. I know exactly what you mean about the buzziness of them fading but as you say there is still a lot to be said for them! Hope the crochet hook holder will be useful for your crochet on the move - I made one for myself for precisely this reason - scrabbling at the bottom of a handbag for scissors or the right size hook was getting annoying! Should be room if not for all your hooks, at least for the ones on the go so to speak as well as a small pair of scissors,, etc I find the bigger pocket useful for a small tape measure & a packet of those handy stitch markers. Wishing you Happy Days and not just on your birthday! E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday for yesterday, love that teapot. Glad you had a great time down here in very wet Cornwall and yes it did hammer down Sat night. You should have said you were coming, Kathi and I could have come over and had a chat, moan, groan whatever. x

    ReplyDelete