Tuesday, 24 July 2012

self indulgent waffle

At last, some al fresco dining:



Lunch yesterday. (curried beef mince and naan).  Nice.

Some new pretties for my scrapbooking on Saturday:



Still not sure about this:


Carry on regardless.

Tonight I am going along for my last Rosemary Conley class.  (Still can't remember whether I had blogged about joining that or not?)  I joined just after the army exercise class debacle.  This is my eighth week, and I have lost 8lbs.  You can't really see it, and I can barely feel the difference, apart from feeling a bit better and a bit trimmer.  I can't face keeping this up for lengthy periods though, as a) to lose any more weight would be bloody hard and I KNOW I wouldn't keep it off - I already have increased my exercise, cut down the wine and cut the pigging and b) I find calorie counting very at-odds with eating 'good food' and I get resentful.   There is a lot of focus within the dieting community on low calorie foods, and many of these are full of bad stuff.  I find myself reading the articles about people who have lost 5 stone or more, and their 'before and after' styles of eating make me want to cry.  If I had to face life with a handful of rasisins for a mid-morning snack and a chicken salad for tea for ever more, well.  Think I'd take up marathon running to give myself a bit of leeway. 

I like a pizza now and then, I like to have a homebaked muffin with a coffee on the odd morning when I have them around.  I like to cook hearty foods without having to compile a long list of calories and fats beforehand.  This said, I also do like to cook sometimes without the addition of fat and find it tastes nice (curried beef mince) and I also do get a bit of a kick out of saying 'no thanks' to the offer of biscuits and sweets, because I know really don't need them. 

Dilemmas, dilemmas.  It's all about moderation.  Life in moderation.  

This is a bit of a blither about the work, life and times of me, me, me, so feel free to skim or skip.

On a couple of evenings a week I work at the local hospital as a ward support clerk.  This mostly entails trundling around the wards throughout the evening checking that the patients they have listed on their white boards match the patients recorded on the computer system as being there.  (ha!)  If they don't it's a case of either admitting or discharging people as necessary.  The real skill in the job lies in getting one of the nursing staff to commit to a better answer than 'er, um, if they're not on the board then they must have gone home', or, my personal favourite, 'yeah, she went to Budleigh, or Exmouth, or somewhere like that', which is what I got the other night.  This is, of course, assuming there is a nurse, any nurse, available for comment.  More often than not, it's like bloody Tumbleweed Town and I am left leafing aimlessly through piles of notes trying to match people to paperwork.  Maintaining accurate patient movements under these circumstances makes the job a little frustrating and I often end up in a filthy rage, cussing and a-swearing back in our little office. 

This was pretty much the case last night, when I was working alongside (there are two of us on any one evening) a woman I call Polly Pineapple.  She is, exactly as you would imagine her to be with this name.  Bubbly, positive, sweet, nice.  That aside, I call her PP because she eats fresh pineapple on a daily basis, and has done, apparently for many, many years.  We often have the pineapple debate of an evening when I challenge the availability of fresh pineapple and she is adamant (and I believe her), that she 'just always has fresh pineapple'.  She obviously knows a secret or two because she has just had her 50th birthday, and boy, she looks good.  As fresh as a pineapple. 

Last night she popped out of the office across to the kitchen (presumably on the hunt for fresh pineapple) and by the time she came back,  I had taken a phone call and was in a temper.  'Blimey' she laughed, 'I only went over there for two seconds, what happened?!'  I explained to her that in my world, things can tilt from good to bad and vice versa very suddenly and she remarked  'well, it must be on a dodgy axis or something then' to which I threw my head back and cackled out loud.  Oh yes.  Life on a dodgy axis indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I am always positively encouraged to read anything you write, especially when self-indulgent is in the title.. does us all good to have a moan or a ramble and yours always raises a smile. I think your diet thinking is right, have phases of avoiding the extras but life without a good cappuccino or nan bread isn't worth the price of the calorie counting book!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like your approach to life, Janice! There are times when cutting back is the name of the game (I say this as someone who has the most incurable sweet tooth and who will do almost anything than give up cake!) but life is short. Much shorter than we like to think and life is to be lived. At the end of our life are we going to think "I'm glad I cut out muffins for half my life" or "I wish I'd enjoyed them when I felt like it"? I am with people at the very ends of their lives through work and I've never heard anyone express the former. I've heard quite a lot of variations on the latter though. I am not advocating gratuitous gorging all the time but the good things in life are often in the form of everyday things and enjoying them is OK. I love fresh pineapple by the way and last summer when I had to have some surgery I read somewhere it was a great agent for healing so I ate it every day. It was delicious and along with other stuff probably contributed to a healthy eating picture but I haven't the slightest intention of replacing my afternoon piece of cake or flapjack or whatever with it! Hospitals are "interesting" places and the behind the scenes shots are not always what they'd post on the Six O'Clock News. Good for you for volunteering! Again for work I spend a fair bit of time in hospitals and it's an eye-opener. Most spectacularly recently when I was rebuked roundly for assisting an elderly patient who asked me for help when she couldn't get back to her bed after having to go the loo on her own because no nurse was available to take her after an hour of calling. I am afraid Mrs T lost her cool! But if people don't ever say anything about then no one realises there is anything wrong. I feel strongly about this as you may have gathered! Sorry!
    On a lighter note, as part of post teenage-sleepover-recovery therapy I have been sewing in the garden and a little something is about to wing its way to you for accompanying cooking healthily or not-so-healthily! I hope you will like it - it's been fun to make! And it's absolutely unique - made just for you! E x

    ReplyDelete