Sunday, 7 April 2013

Hmmmmmm.

Close, but no cigar.

Is how I would describe my latest efforts dans la cuisine. 

The bean chilli will not be making a re-appearance in it's 10 bean state, that's all I can say.  They did indeed look a beauteous sight post-soaking - full of health, vitamins and promise.  The fully cooked ones looked a little dull, and some of the little blighters were still hard.  Goodness knows how.  They must have a kryptonite core, as they boiled and simmered their little hearts out for what felt like years. 

Anyhoo, we both ate some and lived to tell the tale.  As I left it out in the pot overnight I am too afraid of imaginary bacterial growth and potential gastro diseases to freeze it now, so I am ashamed to say I threw it away.  As for dried beans: I am going the tinned route next time, or cooking and freezing in advance as per advice offered.

In summary:  it was alright.  Nuff said. 

Moooving on.

Today we took a National Trust Trip Out.  As per, it was pissing freezing with a nasty wind nipping up your nether regions, but we went to a luverly place - Knightshayes Court.  And, as per, photographs inside were punishable by hanging, so I only have these to offer:




Oliver actually got to take his coat off here, so think the midday sun must have made an appearance, bringing the outside temperature to a balmy 3 degrees centigrade.


 
 
Imagine walking out through your back door to be faced with this.  It really gives such a sense of freedom and space.

 

Fancied a collection of NT mugs - starting with this one.  I am hoping that all other NT places do them as I visit, or it will be a very select collection indeed.

 
 
Tonight we are having sausages for tea.  I can cook them. 
 




3 comments:

  1. Wish we could have gone with you today, but there you go...
    Love the mug collection idea. When I lived in London, I did the same with the shows I went to see - my 'Phantom of the Opera' one was great as the Phantom's mask almost glowed when the mug held a hot drink, and faded again when it was cold. I'm obviously easily pleased!
    Kim. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have come too. Maybe next time. I might even call you a day in advance - sometimes we really do plan that far ahead!

      You are easily pleased - and this is a Good Thing as life will never disappoint.
      x

      Delete
  2. Yes - the NT is something you really do have to get out and thrash the hell out in order to feel the benefit - literally.

    We have some lovely ones in the West Country, although being 'out on a limb' a little means its helluva journey to see the farther away ones....

    ReplyDelete