Thursday, 16 January 2014

rolling off the tongue.

January rolls inexorably on.

I have wanted to use that word for ages.  (Inexorably, not January, or rolls.)  I even got off my arse to look it up manually in ye olde dictionary to ensure I had the right word.  There are quite a lot of words that I don't know the meaning of, but years of reading have given me a concept of them by seeing them in context.  I bloody love reading.  But I am a crap reader in terms of material.  I will read the first two pages and decide immediately if I can read the book or not.  I am not one of these people who will read a book sweating blood from their eyeballs because the determination to reach the end is greater than the pleasure of the story.  Balls to that.  I like the style, or I don't.  Life is too short to battle the written word.  In this sense, my Kindle is TOP.  Downloading samples is THE way to go - no more expensive literary mistakes, lots and lots of trying before buying. 

Happy days.

Anyhoo, I didn't intend to write about reading at all.  I actually wanted to blog mainly about this:


I am on a schedule of 8 squares per day (have I already blogged that?? sorry if so.) in order to finish mid April, giving me enough time to do a border in time for Katie's 17th birthday.  I have abandoned the whole idea of the whopping 1000+ squares, and instead am going for a more realistic 764 double size.  I've never worked to a crochet schedule before - I feel very industrious.  I am up 20 squares on my target so far, so I have breathing space for disaster days when I can't be arsed.  On Mondays and Tuesdays when Oliver is occupied with German and Tennis, I knock out these:
 

Middles. 

A friend at work looked at the pics and said 'no offence, but it looks like something your Granny would make - really old fashioned'.. None taken!!  Well chuffed me - job done, that is exactly the look I want.  Not so keen on the back, however as the 'join as you go' method is all too apparent, but I am telling myself that this rustic handmade look is all ok....



Still no alcohol. 

Is all good.

Still looking forward to a large glass in February though.

Have now managed to download a Word app onto my laptop, (oh yay for me),  so can crack on with the novel. 

Thrown into a panic the other evening with the clear presence of red in Oliver's wee.  After gathering several jars of samples over 12 hours (no easy task I have to report), it seems the culprit is raw beetroot juice for breakfast.  Phew.

Be still my beating heart.

Too many ailments to be scared of, too little time.

7 comments:

  1. Love your blanket - you are making storming progress! well done you! I also like your crochet-lined basket by the way. Glad it was a false alarm re Oliver - so worrying when these things happen out of the blue. Enjoy "inexorable" - I like words like this that have some substance to them! E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blanket and your stamina to do so many a day x I like you sort if understand words and often have to look them up. Imagine my joy at just buying an e reader this week because it tells you what word mean so love it.
    I got caught out on the beetroot thing when I was younger x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad so many people are telling me about the beetroot problem - it is soothing my nerves!

      Delete
  3. Yes, if I could keep it up I could treat us to a mini break in London with a show by October I reckon. Really got to pull it together in February or I will end up a stinking lush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on all counts Janice.. hasn't Oliver done well adjusting to the diabetes.. and you too.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once caused great worry with my mother about red wee and it turned out to be juice!

    I adore the way your blanket is looking. I think when you're able to step back from the project you'll see less of the join as you go signs. I think sometimes we're just too close to it - I do this a lot with cake decorating, stood thinking about all the "flaws" and then Cameron will walk in wide eyed and say WOW!

    ReplyDelete