I woke up this morning with a sandpapery feeling in my eyes.
![]() |
| this is not my cat |
To discover the cat was licking my eyebrows and sockets with fervour. I screwed up my eyes for fear she should lick off the top two surfaces of my eyeballs and tried to brave it out, as it is truly an honour that a cat should deign to take a break from licking it's own arse to give you a wash and brush up too.
But the red raw skin and fish odour was too much for me and I took off to the bathroom with my eyes closed, bumping off the walls all the way to find a wet wipe.
Phew.
It has been a long time since my last blog post. Things have happened, but as they slip into dim and distant memories, it seems less vital to bother to blog about them. But I will give it a go, as I do find my blog a useful record of 'stuff done'.
In no particular order:
I found that I actually enjoy running after the confessed loathing of competitive athletics which I undertook in my teens. I have been puffing my way around 2-3 miles since January with very little improvement in pace or fitness, but after slowing my pace down considerably it suddenly dawned on me that I liked pootling along with my own thoughts, and that I could run 4-6 miles with an improvement in both pace and fitness.
To this end I went along with Mark one Saturday to Killerton House to do their weekly Park Run. This is the first 'race' I have attempted in over 25 years - a real milestone for me as I thought I would NEVER want to do it again. I came 118th out of 250 ish runners, and was 25th female overall. Not bad, but am aiming to do better this Saturday.
I found a lump in my breast.
This was a sudden discovery, and a heart-stopping moment. Thus followed a trip to the Docs and three hospital visits, all within the space of a couple of weeks to discover it was a 'whopping' blood-filled cyst which they showed me on ultrasound before sticking in a needle and sucking it all out.
Flippin eck.
I am so glad it is all done and dusted - grateful to the NHS for their speed and care and fully appreciative of the fact I have been able to walk away from this with a big sense of relief when many others would not have that luxury.
Thank you thank you thank you.
We rejoined the National Trust (again) and had a lovely trip out to Coleton Fishacre. I bought a Jazz-age CD and it fills me full of Sunday afternoon melancholy when I listen to it. Lovely.
Mark and I attended a book signing at Torre Abbey with Sophie Hannah, who has written the new Poirot story - The Monogram Murders. Having discovered her by accident over the last year and read her avidly, I was thrilled to bits that she was given permission by the Agatha Christie estate to write a new Poirot. The Agatha die-hards are whining endlessly over the fact that she killed off Poirot in Curtain, but this book just slots neatly into a gap where there were about four years where Poirot did not appear, between 1929 and 1932.
Apparently.
So there.
I haven't read it yet. And it cost me £18.99 which I resent enormously. But there you go. And I met her and managed a conversation without drying up or stammering, so that's Good.
The new school term has started (is it just me, or did the Summer just pass in a blur this year??) with a vengeance and I have upped Oliver's 'work'. I am pushing him more this year, as I am hugely conscious of the GSCE factor looming on the horizon and if he does end up wanting to go on to Further Education, I have to be thinking about it now....
OH - MIDORI!!!!!
I sold my Filofax on ebay - for £80, can you believe, so I got myself some leather and notebooks, and made myself this:
It is very me, very satisfyingly chunky and full of the bits I need, and I love it. Happy days. I am going to make a 'Traveller size' one, and fill it full of holiday ephemera.
The Tour Of Britain passed through Exeter. I have NO interest whatsoever in cycling, I find it yawn-tastic to the nth degree, but an event is an event is an event, so we trundled along for a look-see.
It was boring waiting, and so entertained ourselves with selfies.
The event was all over in a matter of minutes, and for me the most exciting part was the volume of police motorcycles whizzing by.
That is all.
















Lovely to catch up in your news. So sorry you had a health scare with all the worry that goes with that. Really glad you're OK and that it was sorted out so quickly - although even a couple of weeks is long when you're worrying. Good for you with the running too - if you enjoy something like this it's so much easier to keep it going with all the associated benefits that go with that. I'm with you on the Midori love - gorgeous! Going to have a little flirt on their website! (A second flirt after my first one following your earlier post about it!). Have a lovely weekend, Janice! E x
ReplyDeleteHeart stopping moment when I read of the breast lump - so very glad it was dealt with quickly and you are ok. I am loving those notebooks! Need to investigate further - thank you once again for the inspiration :) Hope your weekend is blissful.
ReplyDeleteWell done with the running (I keep having a go but haven't really noticed much improvement and my nose insists on dripping whilst I'm doing it so what's that all about?) and good to hear of the positive outcome regarding the health blip. I'm not looking at that notebook. Not looking even a little bit.
ReplyDeleteI know Coleton Fishacre very well. We've been going there since before the house was open to the public and they used to allow picnics on the lawn. The viewpoint didn't have a safely fence either and I have a scary photo of my children sat on the cliff edge! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear your lump was something that could be sorted, I had a similar scare a few years ago that ended happily but was horribly frightening during the waiting time.
I love what you did with the new leather, you're so clever! :)
Jess x
Janice.. that was news and a half and happy you had a good outcome and attacked the story with your usual verve!
ReplyDeletei am sitting up awake.. it is a common occurence this week and decided to go blog a bit, only to find I have been missing for 2 months.. is it really almost a month since you wrote this and it passed me by.. where have I been!
Great to read you as ever..hope the autumn brings you blogging some more xx