Saturday, 17 March 2012

What a difference a day makes...

...24 little hours.

Within this particular 24 little hours we discovered Oliver has diabetes. 

It feels like, within minutes, our lives changed forever.

I am sure that every parent, who gets told something life-changing feels like this.  Stunned. 

For us, there was no big build up - no advance warning - wham.  There you go, your kid's life will be more difficult for him - for ever. 

Oliver had been, suddenly, drinking loads, exceptionally unusually wetting the bed a few times and a  bit tired.  Being the sort of people Mark and I are, (paranoid parents), anything a bit extraordinary sets off alarm bells, and so Internet poking about was done, and an appointment was booked with our Doc, and on Thursday, her considered tone in uttering the word 'right,' set off alarms bells that signalled the end of life as we knew it. 

I drove straight from there to the hospital where we received the most caring of care, attention and support for two very long days, while we three had to adjust to the news our son had type 1 diabetes - for good. There is no reason why - no hereditary factors, no dietary factors - his pancreas does not produce enough insulin to  transfer sugars from foods into the body.  There it is.  That's it.  Oliver must now face an immediate future of 4 insulin injections per day, plus numerous finger-pricking blood glucose tests. 

I have to say, I just feel an immense sadness.  I feel sad his life is so fractured in this way, and so sad that the 'normality' of food he so enjoyed has gone for good. 

He has been wonderful.   He did cry.  Quite a few times.  His tears flow when the realisation that this is forever overwhelms him.  He has not cried over insulin jabs, nor the inconvenience of having his mealtimes scrutinised or the fact he can no longer freely eat whatever and whenever he likes.  (You have to know Oliver to appreciate the blow to his week this is).  His attitude to blood sugar tests and jabs 4+ times a day has been impressive.  He has done them all himself for the last day or so, and he seems to have a full grasp of what diabetes is, and what it means for him.  Our pride in his attitude is at bursting point. 

We came home this afternoon, and at the moment, we have to telephone the paediatric diabetes nurse before each meal, to tell her what he is going to eat, and after a blood sugar test, so she can tell us what insulin level he must inject in order to cope with the sugar levels in the food we are giving him.

Every time he says he is hungry, my stomach lurches, because I have to think 'What can I give him? What will this do to his blood sugar level? What will fit in with the meals he is having today? What time is it?'  I know for sure we will get on with this - it will be second nature within weeks,  I have no doubts.

I said as much to Oliver tonight as he prepared his overnight insulin, and then it hit me that this was to be our new reality, and the way we have lived with him for nine years is over for good.

That's when I felt like collapsing into self-indulgent, useless tears. 

But I didn't.   Not right now. 




8 comments:

  1. What can I say, I just can't imagine the emotions you must all be going through at the mo, really humbled by Oliver's attitude to it all, children really do have a way of dealing with things very matter of factly unlike us adults. I take my hat of to Oliver. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janice, I do hope the blogging of it made it seem a bit easier to piece together but true what Karen says he is doing so well and as usual it is us adults doing all the worrying and crying inside. You did so good to research it and chase it down so soon, so many people let things go on too long, and you know, he is probably at a better age to take it onboard, rather than as a hormonal teen with all those issues too.. one lad I know was diagnosed at 13 and its been hard for him to accept and consequently for his mum to influence him. I also know they are learning more about it all the time and these days there are more and more foods diabetics can eat and they kind of counteract the food rather than the old way of limiting the food... I know you will be a expert on all this soon, but having him at home with you will also lessen the issues for him right now, with no peer issues, school timetables etc to worry about too..(Just read this and not post it if you like but I wanted to tell you and send a hug from here x) take care of him, but also of you... Kathi xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, S-I-L.
    Any time you need to talk (or someone to shout at), just let me know.
    Kim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice, thank you for your lovely comments over at mine, I'm glad you liked the squares and it is weird that you ordered that colour of wool, it just goes to show we have good taste! So sorry to hear about Oliver, it must be a very hard time for you but I'm sure it will be second nature very soon. Tell Oliver well done for the way he's handled it, I'm impressed. And well done to you, and don't forget all your blogging friends are here for you, even if it's just to listen while you let off steam because we all need to do that sometimes. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hunny, I don't know what to say. I know you are strong enough to deal with anything that life throws your way (and boy, this is a biggie!) I'm always around if you need to offload, but for now here's a virtual ((((((hug))))))) for you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt sick reading this. I know how you feel, and I am feeling it right now for you. God, I hope you are ok. Julia is right, you are strong, and if you dont feel it right now you will be. Believe me, I know.
    It may not be for you, but I found tremendous support in online groups when James was first diagnosed with Epilepsy, because no matter how great your relatives and friends are, no-one will understand what you are going through as much as another parent who is going through the same.
    Hugs to you my love, and lots of them, like Julia, always here if you need to talk, or for me to listen. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janice you may have been told about SnackPack the local children's support group. I am the chair and we are here if you need us. It is early days for you and it can be overwhelming but it will get better. My son forgets sometimes when he sees docs for other things and they ask if he has any other things medical, he has been known to say no only to be reminded by me he has diabetes. i can help find a buddy for Oliver and some parent support for you. we are on www.snackpack.org.uk all my contact details are on there when you are ready. anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janice, I'm really sorry to read about Oliver's diagnosis. Lou has forwarded my email addy onto you - please do email me and get in contact, when my son Alex was DX (june 2010 aged 11 months), someone nearish to me offered to meet/talk and I didn't at the time, which I now regret, as I've since got to know her, and she could have helped so much. I think we have met (vaguely remember you at the hut in Exeter). We have lots of mutual friends. Anyway, I can give you lots of info on support groups etc (online and offline), plus lots of tips parents learn about D. Julia R

    ReplyDelete