On my Hobbycraft jaunt last week, I picked up a ball of Crofter Fairisle yarn - just because - and because I thought it would make a nice winter scarf for Oliver.
It would have made a better one if I hadn't been such a tightwad and picked up two balls, because I have run out halfway through what I would call a decent length. My nearest stockist of this £3.79 ball of yarn is 30 miles away and postage to get it to me is coming in at around the £3 mark. Estimated petrol cost to get to the Hobbycraft is £3.69. Rock. Hard Place. Me. Bloody hell.
I have finally succumbed to knitting. Only tentatively, mind. My knitting resume consists wholly of 25 years of badly done and unfinished scarves. I get very bored with rows and rows of bog standard starter garter stitch, and if I drop one, or make extra (don't ask) then I am unable to rescue the situation. My Nan was an avid knitter, and my Mum is a capable one (or though inexplicably cannot sew all the bits together at the end and has to take it to my Auntie Anita to do). So, needles to the wheel, I used my beloved YouTube, and last night produced my first rows of purl. Or proper knitting, as I excitedly babbled to Mark, who couldn't have been less interested.
Cable next - it looks even more proper.
Go girl! Woop Woop! (or whatever). Very, very proud of your foray into purl. Cable is great fun (me thinks), and very, very satisfying. I STILL need to learn how to pick up dropped stitches, so perhaps I will one day brave the dreaded YouTube myself.
ReplyDeleteWhat's the snow like your way? It's a bit wettish here.
Kim.
Love the Crofter Fairisle yarn and the ripple pattern brings out all the graduations beautifully. What a pain about running out - funnily enough I too have run out of supplies from Hobbycraft though my dearth is Fimo not yarn! It's annoying and I have some unexpected time this afternoon owing to the weather's shenanigans for a little project that now may be grounded owing to lack of supplies. But no way I can drive to Hobbycraft today - snow is now about a foot deep. Hey ho! You are one brave lady to tackle knitting - I find it a very stressful activity because every time I go wrong I have to unravel right to the beginning and start again as I cannot pick up a dropped stitch. But go for it, having knitting as well as crochet to your bow will make the world your oyster! Looking forward to seeing what you are going to make! E x
ReplyDeleteWoah well done you, love knitting but can't crochet to save my life, you will just love cable so much fun. x
ReplyDelete