I merrily started to stitch together my target squares but managed to balls it up and had to re-do all the corners. Frigsticks. I can't quite face crouching down on the floor and crocheting at weird angles in one sitting. It's a work in progress to be sure.
In other news, my mother in law, who was suffering from all manner of illnesses from Alzheimers to COPD deteriorated rapidly since Christmas, and passed away last week. In the end this was more a relief than grief, as she had been very, very unhappy in the life she was having to lead. Her loss of memory was upsetting to witness and made all attempts to maintain a good relationship difficult to manage. Tomorrow is the funeral where we will remember the person she once was. The funeral we had hoped would be private and dignified is now appearing to attract hostile estranged relatives and their 'grief'. Appearance at the funeral is one thing. A desire to attend the following wake, distasteful in my opinion. I just hope it brings a sense of healthy sadness and 'good' feelings to the two people there who matter the most.
I have also received the bad news that my uncle has died. He was the father of my cousin who died unexpectedly aged 47 last October. To say it has not been a great few months for my aunt and her daughter is a bloody understatement. It makes you feel quite afraid, that life can take such a dark turn so quickly.
I will finish with my twigs. Which I intend to hang painted eggs on, for Easter. And I blog this so I don't seem like a real copycat later on when everybody else does it. And it may seem weird to blog about the misery of death mixed in with crochet and twigs, but life simply must go on and these little fripperies help it to.
Laters.
Oh Janice what a time your family has been having. I am so sorry. I am glad your mother-in-law is now at peace. So hard when Alzheimer's cuts in and a person's identity seems irrevocably changed. I like to think heaven sees that put back and people are then themselves again. And your uncle as well ... I am so very sorry. Funerals are tricky things and yes, unfortunately they can bring out people and things from the woodwork in a way that is sometimes distressing to say the least of it. I hope it goes better than you expect and that the estranged use it as an opportunity to make peace.
ReplyDeleteOn a lighter note your target squares are just brilliant - I love them! The way the black makes the bright colours sing is fabulous. You made me smile about the twigs! I don't care how many others are going to have Easter twigs, I am going the same way and am thinking of replacing my old twigs which keep losing bits off their extremities with some new hazel ones borrowed, er, stolen from the hedgerow down the road! Thinking of you and the family, Janice. Take care. I send you a hug. E x
I feel so terribly guilty about the twigs, having wrenched them from a hedge thing down the garden. When we were kids it was almost the done thing to have budding twigs indoors. Now I just feel like a murderer.
DeleteThanks for your kind words, always a balm.
x
you are most welcome. Swearwords are indeed my speciality, do drop by for more choice ones at a later date.
ReplyDeletex