Monday, 18 March 2013

Nessun dorma

 
 


A couple of years ago, Oliver went to a cub 'no sleepover.'  This involved his pack rocking up at the local headquarters, playing games, bit of rifle shooting, unrolling their sleeping bags and watching movies on a giant screen until their eyes bled, or they dropped dead from exhaustion - whichever was the soonest. 

On Friday, there was another no sleepover event.  This time it was different. This time I had 'volunteered' to be parent 'helper' and boy, was I not looking forward to it. 

Here is Oliver's sleeping bag:


From Millets, for life in the great outdoors.

Here's mine:


From 1985, for Toyah.


It started to go downhill from here really.

There were 42 cubs there.  I felt tired from the moment I arrived at 7pm.  I was greeted by the brother of my ex-boyfried who, rather horribly, is something to to with district scouting.  He was going to be there all night too.  I spent a lot of the evening avoiding him, dreading him revealing to all and sundry the tale of how we knew each other.  At 9pm I got sent to the chip shop for 62 portions of chips.  It was that sort of night.  Scream scream scream. 

At 11.30pm, after a multitude of teeth-gnashing activities, enduring noise levels which made my eardrums buzz and screeching 'shush' at countless cubs, they were finally laid out in a looonnnnnng room end to end in their sleeping bags to watch films.  But it wasn't over there, ooohhh no.  It became apparent that the leaders were going to push through til dawn, and not sleep at all.  I wanted to cry.  In fact, I think my voice broke a little when I whimpered 'seriously, all night - not sleep???  We sat in the very brightly lit  IT suite on Very Upright chairs with the computer server humming away in the background.  It was like being trapped on a bloody ferry.  In the wee hours, a  couple of the ladies gave up and went 'to bed', so I gladly followed them, crawling into my cold, hard sleeping bag in a grateful daze.  Where I dozed fitfully and shiveringly until 5.45am when they turned on the lights for the commencement of more brain-frying will-sapping activities.  Everyone looked like death warmed up.  I sulkily gamely joined in until we were summarily dismissed at 9am.  I practically ran to the car, and my screeching tyres and getaway speed rivalled that of a bank heist.

By 10am I felt so tired, I felt ill.  By 1pm, both Oliver and I were crashed out asleep on the sofa until he woke up declaring 'I'm hungry, can I have my tea' at 3pm.  Ghastly.  It was like suffering the worst jet lag.  Horrible, horrible, horrible.  And it wasn't even for charity. 

Enough tales of shitty nights away.  I have finished this:

 
 


This pattern was originally seen here.

It clearly has a right and wrong side though.  Let's not dwell on the dark side.

Laters.

13 comments:

  1. My idea of hell. I may have made a dash for it when I got to the chip shop - possibly with the chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't been escorted there by a district cub scary lady, I may well have succumbed....

      Delete
  2. It was in aid of nothing - and, strangely, this is exactly what it achieved ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice, I am sorry to duplicate your other commenters but what you've painted is unadulterated, unexpurgated hell on earth and I am afraid I'm with Anne and would have legged it when let out for the chip shop. May also have succumbed to sudden onset of cholera or dysentery just to make sure no one wanted me back! I've no idea how you stuck it for so long but you sure have staying power! Entry into the Marines or the SS would be child's play after this! You're not thinking of becoming an undercover special agent or anything and needing training in surviving mental torture are you? It sounds so awful that actually what may have come out of it, if nothing else, is that you know you have serious mental and physical stamina! So pat yourself on the back and stand tall - there's not much you can't take! On other matters that bulls eye blanket is absolutely gorgeous! I love it! I hope you are able to out your feet up and contemplate it in happy silence with a cup of tea today! E x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha, thanks E!
    I am so glad it is over, I could weep. But I do have a new blanket to mop up my tears.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so get what you mean by this.. and those hard computer chairs and the computer wirring finished me off.. why do kids (and these crazy adults too for that matter) think this is so cool.... they hate the tiredness just as much as us. I recall our Kate sleeping (or not)over at a girl's birthday and ended up crying at 3pm, then sleeping and Kate's pal had a badmnton match which she finished in tears.. madness..you word it so so well, love it..xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the whole 'sleepover' thing is highly overrated. Wasn't allowed in my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could have been worse! When my son was a choirboy I went on their one week Easter holiday with them four years in a row, and lived. Still I was glad when his voice broke...

    ReplyDelete
  8. blimey that sounds HORRIFIC. In shouty capitals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know why I am so glad my Boys never joined the scouts. The swimming club never had sleepovers.

    Love the new blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good call.

      And thanks about the blanket
      x

      Delete
  10. eeek... that does Not sound like fun. and my son would certainly not have coped at it, he went to sleep on the floor at cub camp once amidst all the activities, and now he is a scout he often takes himself off to his tent first! thanks for your visit, no we don't live in Lapland but it does seem like it sometimes......

    ReplyDelete
  11. yep, this hit the top of my Not Fun Things To Do On A Friday Night big time.

    ReplyDelete