Monday, 12 March 2012

Day one

of my new gardening career.  Well, day one of my new intention to run the garden.  Another lovely warm afternoon, so I dragged my protesting son outside to share in my venture.  He got a bit more on board once he'd planted some real life seeds in the bed I've allocated to him.  He wants to grow potatoes, onions and carrots.  Truly I cannot really see the point in growing your own carrots since they are so cheap to buy year round.  If I had my way and could be arsed, I'd have a garden full of mediterranean veg because it's costly to buy.  I shall make do with courgettes and runners, both of which are expensive and have done really well in the past.  My heart sank a little when Oliver said he wanted to grow spuds, as they seem to be a bit complicated, what with chitting, earthing-up, earlies and what not.  Confused.com. 




And to those who have heard me moaning about my garden - this is the reason why:

There are yet more steps behind where I am standing to take this photo, which lead to the bottom of the garden where the veg department lives.
It is bloody miles from the house and I am always out of breath by the time I get up to the front door (and I am not that unfit).  I have lost count of the times I have hauled myself up to the house to find I have left the front door key down by the shed.  My howls of rage have stirred foxes from their dens. 

1 comment:

  1. .. priceless! And by blogging it, like the intention to cook.. you could be committed! And apparently spuds grow well in an old plastic drum or dustbin??

    ReplyDelete