Monday, 26 March 2012

Now, a spot of crochet

I feel that with my (relatively) new found crochet fetish, I don't want to fall prey to the WIP syndrome, so I have delved into the alarming number of bags accumulating around the place to take stock of my current position.  .  Well, that, and the fact that after a trip to Trago on Saturday Mark started a conversation off with 'not wanting to moan....'  (HAH!  If ever there was going to be a moan coming up - then surely this was going to be it) '...but why have you bought more wool?'  My defence was sound, if a little pissy, but I don't want the wool purchasing to get out of control and overwhelm me with it's silent and reproachful mocking from dusty corners.

So, in no particular order,


The bullseye square blanket.  I really like this one, and I think (hope) Oliver will like it once it's finished, as it's a bit boy-sy.  Then I may get a bit of breathing space for completing this bloody thing which is still haunting me:


The never-ending granny stripe.  I started this in France, in September, for Oliver using colours of his choosing.  I love it, but it is tits boring to do and growing no bigger with every stripe.


My crochet square swap squares.  Now finished - yes, that's f-i-n-i-s-h-e-d.  Ta dah indeed (tee hee Kim).

Then there is this:


From the Cute & Easy crochet book, the wave cushion.  This is one finished side, which I really enjoyed doing, and love the colours, but I just can't face the thought of having to chain a new starting line for the other side, and so it sits, sulking away with the granny stripe.

Which brings me on to this:



This is the wool which caused all the aggro on Saturday.  I blame C*****a.  You know who you are.  She turned up on Wednesday with a beautiful chunky granny blanket casually chucked in the buggy,  and with no preamble stated that she'd made one for all the kids.  I was under the impression that she could barely crochet a few weeks earlier!  I was well impressed with it (and her), and felt the urge to chunky-up myself.  (I am quite impressionable in this respect).  This granny square took under 10 minutes sitting in my Mum's kitchen, so this is a very tempting medium.  Think I may try a chunky scarf with these squares, or just do lines of double crochet. 

Actually, I don't think that's excessive.  Do you??


6 comments:

  1. No.. remember the scrap stash we all have , (or did have in your case?) hiding in our drawers.. it's a nest building or security blanket (pun intended) thing if you like.. and what the heck, it's keeping you sane.. love the chunky especially.. K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. See. Cheat with chunky. It's much quicker.

    C*****a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can so relate to this, I have scrap stash, silk painting stash, wool stash, dressmaking stash and they are just the one's I can remember. Hmmm ebay here I come me thinks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice, thank you so very much for my blanket square, it is lovely. {{Thinking of you}}, best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment about the tediousness of Granny-Striping on my blog did make me laugh! And I SO know what you mean here about it failing to grow with every row! For what it's worth the only solution I found was to have other projects on the go at the same time so that there were distractions but boy am I glad to have got to the end of it! Was going to start another Granny Square blanket and have done a good handful of squares - one of the distractions - but I feel I may lower my sights to a cushion cover! I love the colours Oliver has chosen for his - very striking. But you may have the same snag I had with the limited colours provoking boredom in even the most determined Granny-Striper! I love your bullseye pattern in your other blanket-in-progress - looks fantastic! The grey sets the other colours off wonderfully. Hmm may be another yarn purchase in the offing as I have no grey yarn at all. Where did you get the pattern or is it your own? Thank you for visiting me at Mrs T's - it's lovely to meet you. Your writing style is very witty! Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, the bullseye pattern is not my own, I'm really not that good! I found it on this blog: foxslane.blogspot.com and there is a picture of a finished one in my post here: http://childhooduninterrupted.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/wips-aps-and-bnsps.html It sure caught my eye. The grey yarn I use to edge the circles is the cheapy stuff that they sell in cheapy shops - around £1.25 for 100g - made by Robin. Nothing but the best, ha ha! Thanks for commenting! x

      Delete