Saturday, 29 September 2012

flapjack: done

This looks more like it.  Undeterred by previous flapjack failures, I took to the kitchen again today determined to churn out something edible, and presented in recognisable slices.  To this end I trawled my exercise books in search of this:



It is a recipe which, for the purist, is probably just a nod to the traditional flapjack, as there is the option to leave out the golden syrup, which I did, and it contains flour.  I have obscurely entitled this recipe 'nice flapjacks', obviously to distinguish it from a recipe for 'horrible flapjacks'.  Honestly, what am I thinking when I do these things? 

Incidentally, the extra annotations on this recipe reading 'gc' are for me, they are 'grams carbohydrate' so I can calculate how much of it Oliver can have.  All my recipe books now have these figures scribbled in as I go now :(

ANYway, it has come out of the tray in one piece, and generously allowed itself to be cut into sixteen pieces without too much fuss.  The relief was palpable. 



I have cut some of the pieces into even smaller (carb counted) pieces for Oliver and since they sit nicely in cake cases, they look like a proper treat instead of a fob off treat.



At the same time - I know - I made up a batch of these, to be frozen and used for Mark's lunch over a period of time such as greed will allow.  This did of course mean coughing up for blueberries and raspberries (I hate paying for fruit I should grow myself) so these muffins have been put off until I found fruit reduced for quick sale.  This has taken weeks and so poor Mark has gone off with some real cack in his lunch box till now.  Saved by Morrisons. 


This muffin recipe from Mrs TT has not let me down yet, and I have made it several times.  Praise be.

I haven't braved the food audit yet.  I did, however, manage to use up a tin of chickpeas from the deepest darkest depths of the tin department last night and I think I should be applauded for this Herculean achievement.  Ha ha.  In my quest to spend considerably less on foodstuffs than last month, I am determined to be led by the food I have in already, not to randomly think of meals as I drift aimlessly down supermarket aisles.  I got paid on Thursday and I have spent over £70 already.  That's a bit crap, really.

4 comments:

  1. The flapjacks look very well-behaved - must try a smidgeon of flour in my recipe as it tends to be a bit of a collapser too. So glad the muffin recipe is holding up well under fire - I must say I've found it pretty reliable even when my stirring is a bit more gung ho than it should be! E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flapjack recipes are so difficult, I think, because everyone has a different preference about how they want it to come out. I like mine to be really crunchy so the syrup is a must. Adding flour must make them more cakey which is the kind I dislike but that might be your favourite - so there's no right or wrong way to make them in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had such disasters with syrup that I am a bit put off but it is so lovely. The flour, although controversial has been a bit of a lifesaver!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you and Oliver seem to be taking the carbs counting and stuff in your stride now. I really felt for you when you discovered the diabetes and I bet having Oliver at home for the initial years at least will make life so much easier for him when he has to sort stuff himself..
    Must pass muffin recipe to JB, she is on a rll trying new stuff but her muffins are still the winners.. x

    ReplyDelete