Now to the indoor life, to which I find I am best suited. I have finished - THIS!
He likes it. Result.
And, joy of joys - the school is no longer out for summer. Everywhere is now free of irritated parents ignoring their badly behaved offspring. I love, love. love this time of year. It also heralds the start of Autumn - Autumnal loveliness such as smoky bonfire air, dimpsy evenings and the wonderful cooling of temperatures which draw me to the outdoors more than the sunshine ever could. And there is Halloween, bonfire night and the promise of Christmas to come. WaaaHAAAAAYYY!!!!!
Oliver has (with a little prompting/suggestion) drawn up a new schedule for the coming few months:
Note the gaps. They are self-awarded time off for good behaviour slots, methinks.
And I am more than ready to welcome back a little routine into our lives. Over the summer 'school' work stopped and we ticked along with the MQ, and the Summer Reading Challenge. This challenge, initiated by Oliver, needed constant prodding towards this goal:
Six whole books read over the school hols. This is some achievement for him, given his irrational dislike of reading. The regularity of this task however, has clearly improved his reading skills and he reads pretty fluently, with intonation and a clear understanding of punctuation and passages spoken by the characters. Blimey, that looks like a piece from a school report. Anyhoo, 'we' have introduced 'book review' into the schedule on a fortnightly basis, the idea being that he will read on a daily basis and write a review at the end of it. This is a really big suck it and see.
Oliver's keenness on golf continues, and this morning the golf coach suggested he enter a competition next week as long as he has an adult with him who can play golf. I feel completely justified in putting Mark forward for this despite his apparent horror at the idea - he used to play golf, and this is one of those things which is a Dad job, becuase Dad plays golf, and Mum don't. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Lead on McDuff.
Gardening is indeed jolly hard work which is why i shunted the task of lifting the potatoes here this weekend in H's direction! All good except for a number of skewered spuds courtesy of H's gung ho technique but i am not saying a word, no siree! I know what's good for me and if he's willing to do the back-breaking labour what's a few spuds with fork prongs through their middles to say to anything?! I love your Granny stripe blanket for Oliver. Yes, those colours are indeed sharp and work fantastically as a masculine but not drab palette. You've done a tremendous job. What edging did you use? I like it. I don't know why the Granny stripe pattern is so tedious - H's one nearly finished me off back in the spring. I do like Oliver's timetable and his judicious afternoons off! Happy September Days! E x
ReplyDeleteThanks Elizabeth! The (interminable) edging is a row of granny, two rows of SC and a row of HDC.
Delete