Tuesday, 30 October 2012

MQ8 Honiton, and stuff

Hello peoples.

The mobile dilemma has been sorted and I have a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Ace.  Not the newest model, but a touch screen blah di blah which supports apps.  Whatever they are.  Its arrival has caused Oliver much merriment while I have struggled to master using it without the aid of physical buttons to press.  I had to endure him clutching his sides and cackling whilst I tried in vain to answer my first call by poking the screen very hard and shrieking at it several times.  Of course he can make it do stuff with confidence and without written instructions, because all children under 12 these days come equipped with built-in techno-know-how.  The generation gap grows ever wider.

So on to the latest in Museum offerings - Honiton.


This is a nice little place, right up our street (not literally, it is about a half hour drive) and predominantly focuses on lace and lacemaking.  Honiton Lace is, of course, famed the world over although it is no longer commercially made.  It is incredible.






Oliver girded his loins and agreed to 'do the quiz' which was going really well until the last two questions when there was a need to write a whole sentence.  A real whole sentence.  Then he had a mini meltdown and had to be calmed down.  Honestly, there are times when I am quite baffled by his terror of the written word.  The ladies behind the counter marvelled at his neat handwriting, which is lovely for him and very encouraging, but still he freezes when he has to go off piste and dredge up words of his own.  A gentle touch needed here methinks.  It's probably my fault somewhere anyhow.

 


My lovely yarn arrived.  The colours are beeyoootiful, although I always forget that cotton is thin, and I had better remember that this should not be a BIG blanket, or it will end up being the most expensive item in my house. 
 
 

 
That'll do for now, although I have many stored up gripes, groans and indignant opinions skitting around in my brain which need to be spilled out soon before they bubble away and spew out in a violent rage at some unexpected point.

It's that time of year again....


8 comments:

  1. The lace looks amazing doesn't it, so intricate? That's one craft I've never attempte, looks too fiddley for my poor brain! I do however wish I had that stash of yarn, it looks so soft, just asking to be made into something! :)
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it is beautiful and impressive, but never appealed as 'one to try'!

      Delete
  2. Those colours (wool) are gorgeous, I so love knitting in cotton, so warm and cool at the same time!! If that makes sense. Look forward to seeing what you turn them into. I had a go at lace making once, could not get my head around it LOL,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is definitely a dedicated art, and I bet it makes your eyes ache!

      Delete
  3. Glad the phone sage has had a happy outcome! I need H's techno-gene as an implant if it's any consolation! If I ask him how to do anything he knows (great), he tells me (even more great) but does it so quickly I feel like a cretin and have to keep on asking him to repeat what he's said! (really not so great!) Honiton Museum looks lovely - that lace - can you imagine the hours of work in it? Fabulous. The New Yarn is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the new blanket in production. You are a dab hand with pumpkin-cutting! The knife always slips when I try this, making a nice grin (cheery or scary depending on mood!) more of a plastic surgery emergency! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, my Mr Pumpkin Heads have had many a slip twixt cup and lip ha ha! I bet A&E is full of would-be pumpkin carvers this time of year...

      The lace looks so much more fantastic in real life. My pics are through glass and inches away, but each whole piece is about 2 feet x 3 feet - quite amazing.

      Delete
  4. Touch screen phones just do not work - I have one now, its so confusing.

    Yarn!!! What happened to wool? American are we?

    You will be stopping at the "gas station" next, and walking along the "sidewalk" amongst other things.

    Happy Halloween - have you got your broomstick ready?

    Love as always xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'wool' sounds terribly British and makes me think of tweediness. Yarn is the new wool. Love to stay and chat, but gotta take the trash out to the yard.

      Delete