Sunday, 11 December 2011

more baubles than you can shake a stick at and posh nosh

Sooooo, a further telephone call to the Doc on Thursday and a visit on Friday morning cleared us to take our annual Otter Nurseries Santa visit.  I love the way they make a really good grotto, and they have the Santa gift falling down the 'magic chimney' - it's brill.  They also have a fantastic range of Christmas decs and displays.  This one made me titter, I like to imagine that the star of the show has walked out in a fit of pique.  Over pay, or something.

The Santa gift this year was a good one - cuddly toys are always appreciated!



I was drawn to this candy shoppe display:




as well as the more traditional flavours:




And Saturday saw us taking a trip to Axminster (bit of a pit of a town - sorry if you live there) to have lunch at the River Cottage canteen.  This was supposed to happen last weekend, for Mark's birthday, but was postponed because Oliver was ill.  Can't say he is much better now, but gotta get on with it...




Oliver chose pheasant:



Mark, polenta with mushrooms:



I didn't photograph my dinner, I was too greedy hungry to wait any longer.  I had mussels with a side of chunky 'real' chips which were so hot I burnt my mouth.  This temporarily distracted me from the pain in my back, which I seem to have injured in some way. 

Oliver didn't eat all of his pheasant, which I think tasted weirdly chicken-like, but our dishes were good.  The puddings were very grown up - bitter chocolate and cinammon cream in a parfait jar (!!!) and vanilla cheescake with apricots.  Both great, but both very 'grown up' tasting.  Make of that what you will.




Excitement of all excitement:




I have wanted a little typewriter like this for years - for scrapbooking labelling purposes mainly.  Saw this in a recycling shop in Axminster, asked how much it was (expecting around £25, which I wouldn't have paid - would have gone to £10), and the bloke said a couple of quid!! I was saying done and reaching for my purse before the end of the word 'quid'.  Mark, who will surely sprain his eyeballs one day by rolling them so fiercely, muttered and mumbled alot about this purchase, but I am smitten.  Mwwaahh to my little SR180.  Here's to you my tippety tappity friend.

Yeahh, my back hurts.  Those who know me, will know I don't bear pain well at all.  Think I have twisted something out of place, and putting my shoes on, driving, lying down and sitting in certain positions hurt.  Annoyingly, walking around and standing in the kitchen doing mundane domestic chores don't cause pain.  Well, that's alright then.  Off to an Osteopath as soon as they open tomorrow morning.

1 comment: