I have loved this Christmas. I recall Mark and I were not getting along that well last Christmas, and so this year, with much more effort being put in on both sides towards each others' well-being throughout the year, this festive period has felt bathed in warmth and kindness and it has made everything so much nicer. The massive amount of pressies, alcohol and food has also helped towards the general feeling of goodwill in the Newson household ha ha.
I always get a hankering for attending Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, although I have never done so. I am very torn between being at home and enjoying the excited anticipation which seems to naturally 'hang around' on Christmas Eve (and have a wine or two truth be told) and making the effort to drive out into the cold night to find a) a decent church where I will merge into the crowd and be unnoticed as I cry my way through Christmas carols and b) a parking space in a not lonely and dark place where I will fear for my life upon my return in the wee hours, as I will surely be alone in my sudden urge to raise my voice to the heavens.
I didn't go this year. Again. I will though, one year.
I got a load of lovely stuff from Oliver - and unexpectedly, as he was not buying me anything else - a Kindle from Mark! This was a real surprise, as we both seem a bit uncertain about the idea of a reading device vs books, but I have to say - I had a little secret squeal when I opened it. It is soooo very cool. It does not have, as Mark pointed out, the character of books, but boy it wins hands down on the portability front, and the ability to download free samples of books is so choice. I know within a few paragraphs normally, if I am going to be able to enjoy the author's style or not. so I will be able to dip into a massive variety of titles and styles. And I can get the Internet on it. Tedious, but hey, exciting nonetheless. And the screen savers are so beautiful, in restful greyscale.
I bought Mark a second hand pouffe in the end. Yes, I know. We won't speak of it.
Oliver's favourite present has been his Nintendo 3DS. Yep, very electronic and plastic, but he's happy, and a child of the noughties, what more can I say. I was, however, slightly surprised at the level of interest and attention he paid to everything he opened - pleasing.
Yeah yeah I know the TV is on - a bit much on Christmas morning, but you try opening pressies when there is just three of you in the room and all attention is pretty much focused on the child - it's a fair bit of pressure to handle so the TV on as background mutter (think it was top 50 Christmas songs) helps things along nicely.
After unexpectedly receiving money from both sets of parents, this morning I got up at Stupid O'Clock For Christmas and went into town, with the intention of buying my annual quota of 'decent' clothes in the sales. I got there before any bloody shop was open, so sat on the wall in Cathedral Close with a latte, admiring the peace and the magnificent west front. The weather is in stark contrast to this time last year - there was ice and snow everywhere then, today I sat on a wall for 20 mins in a jumper, no gloves, no coat.
Then I hit Next. And Primark. Opposite ends of the scale, but hey - some things are good to get in Next for quality and longevity ie: boots and jeans, and some things are good to get in Primark for a two quid price tag, slobbing about in and not expecting it to last past 5 washes ie: PJ's and t shirts. I came home after 3 very long hours, to find Mark had blown his share on the Internet. Bloody hell. He got up hours after me, and didn't have to leave the living room. So unfair.
Yum.
I leave you with two of my favourite festive pictures of my all time favourite boy.








Yay I said as I saw you had posted..and such lovely news.. and I had a similar Midnight Mass conversation with Col's dad and we resolve to go 'one year'
ReplyDeleteAnd in passing, me and my man first met 'illicitly' on the very steps in front of said cathedral... special place ... 21 years later... glad your days were happy K xx
All sounds lovely x Like your new boots x
ReplyDelete