The new yarn which caused me to fawn all over the postman is this:
Nothing terribly exciting, I grant you, but exciting in so far as that I can now crack on with THE singularly most exciting thing to happen to any crafter - starting a new project. There is nothing to beat that feeling of choosing new supplies, the joy in laying them out ready to feast upon.... I've said it before, and I'll say it again, oh frrrrabjous day.
I also had the brilliant foresight to order this:
which allowed me to make an informed choice on my next order. Yes, dear SIL, you will note that 'saffron' and 'sunshine' are, indeed, not the same colour at all. You owe me £1.50.
I have another purple-y shade to add to this which should arrive tomorrow. Via a very nervous postman one shouldn't wonder heh heh heh. I am starting a new ripple blanket for my niece's birthday. It is in August, so I have plenty of time (kiss of death). Apparently she likes purple and black. She is going to be 7. Or 8. Or some such age, and I reckon that a ripple in varying stripes of purples, black and cream could grow with her. Probably. Possibly. Who cares, I'll enjoy the journey.
This afternoon Oliver asked me to join in an XBox game with him - Star Wars Lego something or other. He must have been desperate because I am so seriously embarrassingly crap at managing the controls that it must be painful for him to play against. He popped in the disc, the game began and our subsequent conversation went a bit like this:
'so what buttons do I use then?'
'OK, A is for jump, X is for shooting, and B is for your inventory'
'An inventory of what?'
'weapons'
'what, so I have a choice of stuff?'
'yeah, press B, press B, PRESS B NOW'
A circle of undecipherable icons popped up on my side of the screen at at this point. I panicked and chose the first one which was highlighted. Nothing happened.
'It didn't work, it didn't work'
'it did - look, it's being built'
The chosen weapon (some cannon thing) was indeed appearing before my very eyes in lego blocks on the screen.
'how do I use it?'
'you have to get in it'
'IN it? how?'
'press Y'
Suffice to say I started losing interest very rapidly. The game seemed to be progressing at a ridiculously fast pace, I was being blown into small bits of lego quite frequently and running round inside a purple force field in circles. Although I probably shouldn't be, I am impressed with Oliver's ability to manage all these different functions at the same time without his eyeballs exploding.
Today was Oliver's annual judo course at Ladram Bay. Normally I just drop him off first thing and bugger off to Exmouth for a charity shop trawl for 3 hours, but now, with the fear of plunging blood sugar levels, I felt I should stay and administer glucose at regular intervals. Good job I did, because exercise seems to affect him quite severely, and I spent most of today pumping him full of energy drinks and dextrose tablets. It so goes against my principles to be advocating the copious consumption of bright blue powerade. Sigh. Spoken to the hospital, and tomorrow we will be reducing his insulin to keep his levels a bit higher. Worry, worry, worry.
And finally....
Me boys playing Scrabble. A PC version which I am highly suspicious of, as it uses 'the official Scrabble players dictionary', or as I like to call it 'the made up words for Scrabble cheating dictionary.' This 'dictionary' seems to be full of words which are at best complete bollocks. This game contained the words 'rax' and 'quaid'. Yeah.
Even if they are real words, they shouldn't be.
So there.
Here endeth the lesson.


You are not the only one baffled at the xbox games. My poor kids like me to play just for their amusement, I must look like a rabbit in the headlights.
ReplyDeleteMy gorgeous squares arrived earlier this week, thanks so much they have been added to my pile and I hope to turn them all into something lovely later this year.
Kandi x
I am SO glad you ordered the wool swatch guide - I have a ball of wool which I am pretty sure is violet but.... who really knows?! I have dithered so many times over whether to buy my own swatch guide but decided instead, to make my own. However, this ONLY works if you don't lose the ball wrapper thingy before you have made a note as to what it is!! Elementary, I know. AAAAAAND I ordered 'another' lemon for my ripple blanket, only to find out when it arrived that I really meant to order citron. As I said, don't lose the wrapper thingy.....Those yellows, in particular, are an awkward bunch.
ReplyDeleteKimxxxx
PS. Note, SIL, all my commenting! I think I have probably now used up my year's supply.
This scenario is SO familiar! Even worse when I get handed a gizmo for playing one of these car racing games and H gives a demonstration that lasts all of 5 seconds. I am still working out which way up you hold the wretched thing while he is off and on round two and I discover I have already been left in a pile-up somewhere in Ibiza! I really feel for you with the worry about the diabetes - so hope things even out for Oliver as time goes on and that the insulin levels can be adjusted to get things on more of an equilibrium. Hope the rest of your weekend is good - nothing to beat starting a new project! All those yarn samples look delicious! You did make me laugh about the postman - have been known to lie in wait for his arrival with yarn parcels here! E x
ReplyDeleteLOL I have given up on games way too frustrating for me. Love those purples. x
ReplyDelete