Monday, 2 April 2012

modern day rain dance

Yes, the purchase of nice, new garden furniture is guaranteed to raise the clouds from the horizons. 

I love, love, love this parasol.  On our first trip to B&Q we bought the standard pop through the table parasol, a completely shit and pointless invention as it never EVER gives shade where you need it - ie over the table, instead you get a nice pool of shade four feet away, but after a bit of 'seeeeeEEEE??' and 'we should have got the other one' conversations, I was zooming back to said superstore for an shade upgrade.  For an extra £19 we now have a parasol which does what it says on the tin, we can move the table to the shade (which surely makes more sense, actually, as the shade is now weighed down with 4 paving slabs) and there is the added bonus of getting signals from Mars due to it's satellite-like proportions.



I am really trying hard to like this spring/summer time, as normally I loathe the warmer weather and spend most of it skulking around indoors longing for overcast days and generally spoiling everbody elses joy of sunshine.  Horrible cow.  This year, having determinedly set about enjoying gardening (yuk) and planting real live seeds - I am stunned to report that we actually have growth among the dirt.  Quelle shock.  I keep standing over the seedlings with pride, as if I am personally responsible for their germination and baby green-ness.  I didn't even plant them - Oliver did. 

In crochet world, I am saddened to report that I cannot get to grips with a pattern which I had foolishly announced to my brother I would use to make a blanket for his daughter for her birthday.  It is not tricky, and I am sure I could probably thrash it out, but I am not convinced it will work as well as I imagine, and it will be a waste of time anyway. It is this one, and my brother had chosen the colours for it and everything.  Whoops.  I showed Oliver the little sample piece I had done and apparently the 'hearts' look like bats.  Think I am going to have to default to the ripple.  And, at long last, the granny got an airing post bath:



We went to meet new friends at the end of last week, who live where I would call 'the country' in a beautiful spot.  It was really nice and Oliver had a good time.   Afterwards we popped into the Donkey Sanctuary to have a picnic lunch and say hello to the hee haws.  It is supposed to be a great free trip, but somehow this hour ended up costing me over £20.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,
    I used to be a winter girl, moaning about the hot weather, but not anymore. Summer can't come quickly enough for me. I'm trying to rescue my strawberry plant and she's getting lots of tlc at the moment. Your granny stripe looks beautiful, I'm determined to finish mine this month (luckily it's only the 2nd April!). Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you :)
    Loving seeing the blanket in all it's glory and being enjoyed, just as it should be :) We love the Donkey Sanctuary, I must take the little people there sometime - thanks for the reminder. I suppose I should say something about the parasol considering it is taking pride of place at the top of the blog and has had a whole paragraph dedicated to it's purchase - erm, nice parasol ;o)

    Hope to see you very soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a gardener now so you need to embrace the spring and summer!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter to you and yours Janice.. thanks for the comment on Ross' surf picture.. he was a surf instructor last year at Sennen and the chap who runs the school takes pics for his blog.. funny too as Ross always says it's not the best pic as his feet are wrongly positioned! .. but what do we know..! Hey, if you ever get this way do come have a coffee.. all of you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete