Thursday, 9 August 2012

Fore!

Last week my dresser arrived.

second hand from a local charity shop, a real find


Ain't it fab?  Well I think so anyhoo.  It fits just where I wanted it to, is a bit knacked pine and (I think) makes the room cosier.  The things on it, however, are there just to fill gaps - it is not in its finished full-of-my-crap state yet. 



Love you.

This week Oliver started his golf academy course.  He is really enjoying it, and I am really enjoying his joy.  We 'invested' in a second hand set of junior clubs for him this two week stint and he goes off kitted out with a Slazenger jumper, polo shirt and proper trousers every day.  Dressing up as a golfer suits him ha ha.  He has a nice little golf swing and could be quite good at it with some application methinks, but unfortunately he has seems to share both mine and Mark's antipathy towards the length of time playing a round of golf takes (hours and hours) and his concentration wanders.  This week is short sessions focusing on skills (putting, chipping etc blah blah) and next week is a series of 4 hour stints out on the course.  Blimey.  Hope he gets on OK.  I have no photos to share of the golf progress,  as the suggestion of coming down to take a pic was met with total horror and rejection.  Pah.

These shorter sessions this week are particularly lovely for me (yes, it's all about me again) as I get to sit in the clubhouse drinking latte and feel very middle class.  Ha ha.  I also sit my arse in front of the big screen, soak up the Olympics and continue work on this:



Happy days.

BTW, I think these Olympics have been brilliant for the morale and sense of 'belonging' in this country.  I was listening to someones opinion yesterday on how so many sports should not be included in the Olympics because they just 'shouldn't', apparently, and I listened politely.  (it was my uncle spouting forth whilst in my parents home, so it would have been rude to tell him not to be such a twat, although I was sorely tempted) Musing on this I have decided that I think, actually,  it's bloody brilliant to include as many sports and games as possible, as this is now the biggest sporting spectacle in the world and much anticipated when it rolls around every four years.  To win an Olympic gold is the dream of millions, and should be nurtured, not derided.   True, BMX and handball seem a little odd now, and tennis and football still both seem a little out of place at the moment, but to put yourself out there against the rest of the world and come out on top must feel wonderful, and should be thus applauded and admired.  Some puritans also bang on about the fact that the 'original' Olympic events were athletic-based and therefore feel that track and field are the only 'real' Olympic sports of worth.  As I understand it, the original Olympic games featured no women and clothes were not worn.  Some things just need to move with the times......

At the weekend, for the first time in a long time, I made jam.  I forgot how easy and bloody lovely it is.  The strawberries were given to me, and the redcurrants were from the Salvation Army hall next to the quaint musuem in MQ#3.  This has encouraged the making of hot toast and real lovely butter to go with the spiffing jam, so not sure how much of a good thing it will prove to be for my still-hanging-in-there at 9lbs lighter waistline.

On today's agenda is golf, library, haircut, butchers, doctors, swimming, and supermarket.  In that order.  Somewhere in there I have to make time to do the usual household drudgeries (dishes and washing) and eat. 



1 comment:

  1. I want your dresser - the fact that I have no where to put it is irrelivent I still want it.
    Totally agree with you re the olympics they have been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete