Thursday, 27 September 2012

cupcakes and crapjacks

This is why I rarely do flapjacks:



Goodness knows.  Don't ask.  Now I have a treacly pile of oats sitting on a plate which I periodically tear a mouthful off of each time I walk past it.  It is beautifully sweet but I can actually feel my teeth rotting with every mouthful.

The bolognese was a success, the cupcakes were not my best, but the kids ate them.  Gotta love kids for their senseless love of cake in whatever crappy form it takes.

Today is pay day (hallelujah and much rejoicing) and so the food audit beckons.  Might leave that treat until later.  A friend of mine reckons she spends less on food by doing a big weekly shop.  I know it's not tip of the year, nor rocket science, but I have not been doing that for a while, instead just popping into to various shops whilst out and about on our travels, and spending about £30 a pop, at least.  I cannot financially support an average of 5 'pop-ins' per week at £30 a time.  No sirree.  Maybe I'll do an online jobbie - that's so bloody tedious and time consuming I usually give up and pay before I've had my fill of fripperies. 

Today MQ7 is on the cards.  And a charity shop trawl, and lunch out, and it's pay day....

Happy days.

6 comments:

  1. What were you doing up at 6.00am S-I-L?
    In my past I always made a decent batch of flapjacks (this was 'before-kids' btw). Since then, not quite so successful. My most recent batch turned out a bit like yours, but then I found out that if you used the jumbo oats (which I had, thinking that would make the flapjacks more chewy) they don't tend to absorb the syrup as well as the bog standard rolled oats. Did you use jumbo oats? Did you? Did you?
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted at 9.06.00am - not 6.00am, ha ha, as if. No, sadly no jumbo oats were harmed in the 'baking' of these flapjacks. They are a bona fide balls up. Oliver ate the rest of it tonight with a spoon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. As per my comment on today's post - your title made me laugh out loud! Flapjack in my experience can be a tricky customer and can easily indeed become crapjack! Either it sets rock hard and takes your teeth out or it can collapse and nothing holds together at all. Of the two I infinitely prefer the second. I hate biting into what looks nice and soft and chewy and finding I shall be lucky not to be queuing for dentures! I think Kim is definitely onto something with the jumbo oats - they should be avoided like the plague with flapjack. Ordinary Waitrose porridge oats I have found work much better. As to popping in to pick up a few things - I can't understand why when I go in to pick up just a few items they charge me so much. Easily at least £30. I am sure they overcharge for baskets otherwise how can just some salad, a punnet of raspberries or two and some cream (because you can't have raspberries on their own) and a bottle of shampoo (because it was on Special and it's therefore money saving to buy a couple) as well as the ingredients for that cake I wanted to make cost so much?! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I agree - a list of four or five things should simply not be so costly. Although I think you and I both know that this list by the time we reach the checkout does not closely resemble the list we entered the shop with...

      Delete
  4. The only thing I know is that they are unpredictable and ovecooking is a big issue, makes them all crunchy. I also suffer the eating it eveytime I pass syndrome..x

    ReplyDelete