Saturday, 13 October 2012

This week I am eating mostly

toast.

I have kept all my food receipts so far this month, and in the first two weeks my shopping has cost £275.  Zut alors.  I feel I should point out that this does include alcohol and soft drinks, which account for around £40-ish.  I feel I should also point out that I was not making any fast and furious attempt to shop terribly carefully - the exercise was to discover exactly what I am spending the shopping budget on. 

Still, this week I have drawn out the cash I have left from my personal earnings and my intention is to make that last - as - far - as - possible.  Payday is binocular-distance away at the moment, but I really would prefer not to dip into our joint account.

In discussing this at length with my SiL yesterday, I feel I am thwarted in my attempts at any serious frugality by these things:

- The sort of cooking I like to do, bakes, casseroles, pasta sauces, curries and chillis and 'interesting' stuff, is made difficult by the ingredients I can/cannot use and who will/will not eat them for various reasons.

- Oliver will not eat spicy foods.

- Mark is vegetarian and a fussy one.  He will eat lentils and pulses - but not more than once a week and still views them with suspicion.  Oliver is horrified by the prospect but can be bullied once in a while to partake. 

- At the moment, with Oliver's evening clubs, my work shifts and Mark's badminton, we are lucky to sit down and eat together at most once a week.  This means either preparing food/having easy to do food available for Mark to cook when he comes home for him and Oliver, or cooking something in advance which can be reheated and considered 'nice' to both of them. (virtually impossible).

- This year (thankfully) Mark has started to eat fish, and although this has helped with variety, he will not eat tinned tuna (the most inoffensive way to eat fish ever, surely) thereby blocking tuna bakes and tuna mayonnaise.  And fish smells and I hate cooking it.  Sorry. Thank the Lord for fish fingers I say.  (another super-inoffensive way to consume fish).

- Although Mark does eat the food I cook, he has some funny unwritten rules and ideas about meals which cause me great irritation:  baked potatoes are a only acceptable no more than once a fortnight, soup is a cop-out meal and therefore just not worth even trying to dish up.  Any meal should not be dished up again within two days of the last time.  To be fair, he is pretty happy with 'meat' and two veg, but I find this sort of meal-making to be dull, dutiful and depressing.  Not to mention uninspiring. 

At present, it seems easier to feed us all different meals at different times.  No wonder my bloody shopping bill is so high and I am frazzled with the idea of feeding us.

I am determined to make baby steps - I have pre-cooked some baked potatoes and frozen them, because as a side dish, baked potatoes are exempted from the once a fortnight only rule.  These can be pulled out and cooked alongside other frozen staples like fish fingers or vege burgers in the oven, thereby giving me two or three nights of cheap, stress-free meals.  I will start squeezing in a curry and casserole here and there, therefore making it possible to use up lentils and pulses clogging up the tin cupboard in order to make way for more tinned tomatoes (how did people ever manage without them) and baked beans (a food loved by all to which I am deeply indebted).

I also intend to buy a load of chicken breasts to freeze and use for Oliver because I think I need to control the fish finger habit.  I know that this will not be a very economical way to buy chicken, but buying a whole one, or pieces means there is too much chicken for his teeny appetite in one meal, and he baulks at having it two days on the trot.  I resent giving edible leftovers to the cats, so at least by cooking one chicken breast - it will be eaten and enjoyed fresh with no waste.  While I'm at it, I will buy bags of frozen fish (lidl seem to do these cheaply enough) which can be cooked from frozen and wrapped up in foil to minimise fish stink which permeates every corner of the house and clings to clothing for weeks.  Who knows, this way I may even be able to feed two of us at the same time....





7 comments:

  1. Go girl!!!
    At least I can make that sound OK in print - when I say 'Go girl!' in 'real' life, the kids go 'No mum! Don't! Just don't!'
    'Twas an interesting look in your cupboards yesterday. Good luck with the meal planning. BTW, I absolutely loathe baked beans (just in case you ever think of offering them with a cup of tea).
    Kim. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that's EXACTLY what I offer all my guests - a cup of tea and a side of Heinz. Ha ha you do make me snigger. And since I have heard you say 'go girl' in real life, I have to agree it looks far cooler written down lol (I hate that, don't you, but so useful) And note I have published AND commented on your comment!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Ha!
      Kim

      Delete
  2. Goodness me you do have a juggling act to perform in the kitchen! You have my considerable sympathy! I am afraid I have no truck with any reservations about the same thing more than one day running - I make a lot of casseroles largely for D and H and they last at least two days, three if I am canny with what accompanies them and they are a life-saver on the juggling front. Also they improve with reheating so Day 2 is always better than Day 1. And Day 3 than Day 2 or 1. This doesn't help your situation very much I fear, although you could freeze to delay re-serving too soon. Is risotto acceptable? If so, I'd consider giving this a whirl and you don't have to stand there stirring all night. D Smith has a bake in the oven method which works perfectly well without the stirring. Doesn't reheat well though but you can use cheap and cheerful ingredients and it's filling and delicious. Roasted butternut squash works very well in risotto as do tinned tomatoes and mushrooms. Pasta of course is another cheapie potentially with a good thick homemade tomato sauce jazzed up with red peppers or chillies or a mushroom sauce with the flavour intensified by a few dried ones. Dried mushrooms are quite expensive but I'd consider investing in a packet as a few go a long way and can improve all sorts of things. They also keep forever virtually. Hmm, what else can I suggest? Homemade pizza can be cheap as chips and might offer scope for varying people's likes and dislikes by just making them individually and varying the toppings. Tomato paste smeared on the base and then add whatever people like and budget allows. Also I'd consider renaming a few things - don't call minestrone soup, "soup" for example, makes sure it's quite thick and call it Italian hot pot or something! You could prepare that well in advance and just reheat for whoever whenever. Filling and cheap and good for you. I don't know whether any of these suggestions help or not - you probably know them all anyway! You could ask Mark to suggest a menu plan himself which would at least help with having to rack your brains all the time! Might encourage awareness of the tricksy juggling you have to do all the time too! If you are catering for so many variables I think £275 for a fortnight could be a whole lot worse! E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for those suggestions Elizabeth, I keep forgetting about pizza. Risotto usually gets a suspicious wrinkle of the nose unfortunately, my SiL suggested the very same thing yesterday. I did get Mark to write a list of acceptable foods, but it is quite boring - maybe I am being unfair - maybe I should just dish up what he wants to eat and be done with it instead of trying to make him eat what I want to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I smiled but sympathised when I read this. We are veggie but eat fish and Col doesn't like anything which masqueradesas meat like veg sausages and burgery things, so its nut cutlets and quorn in pasta and curries. His Dad eats with us several times a week but isn't a spicey fan and no-one likes the same when it comes to veg. Col's favourite is actually jackets, but he hates the skins.. Isn't that mash!.?
    And don't get me started on salad and who likes which bit! I tend to do big roastie type meals for the times when everyone is here, then we all get a meat replacement, roasties, various veg and yorkshires, with gravy as a go /no go depending on who it is. Some of us end up with a plateful of everything and the odd time Col gets fish, roasties and peas!
    Soups get made every now and then, some of us love cauliflower curried soup, just that, cauli and oxo and curry paste.. But boy, it stinks, so make it and eat it fast and open the windows! My s-i-l says soup is sick and old people's food!

    So, just so you know, it's not just yours who need juggling... And where DOES the food go once it gets in the house, even a big online shop gets sucked up in days.. ! Xx Only us two this eve so bread and cheese.. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - someone else lives my own mixed up and confused existence too!!

      Delete