This is a bit of a time-killing exercise, as Match Of The Day (ruiner of weekend TV viewing) is on and I can't bear to sit in the same room. I have nothing against football, per se, I just bloody well object to it taking over the TV (and my husband's attention) Sat AND Sun evenings for the next nine months. I think, actually, I have banged on about this before, as it feels horribly familiar.....
Soooo.... here I am. Tippety tapping away. This post title refers to a problem I seem to encounter with ordering things from the Internet and then finding them to be ridiculously smaller than I had pictured in my mind. I will refer you to a children's bible I once ordered, thinking that it was the same as one my SiL had ordered - a proper book-sized book - only to find that when it came, it was teeny and you needed a bloody magnifying glass to read it, the writing was so small. SiL found this hilarious, needless to say, and this mirth was further tickled by the arrival a couple of weeks ago of a mini-easel to display my 12"x12" scrapbook layouts. This easel stands at 4.5" tall and is woefully inadequately proportioned to bear the size and weight of my layouts. Boy it sure looked bigger in the pictures. And today, my piece de resistance arrived by post - The Hummingbird Bakery book of cupcakes and muffins. When it fell out of its cardboard sheath, I threw my head back and howled with laughter. It is 5"x5" in size. It is barely thicker than a CD, and my face must have been a picture because I was expecting a library-volume sized tome. I MUST start reading the dimensions of my purchases. Goodness knows what will pop through the letterbox next.
See - ordered from Amazon - this doesn't give me the impression of 'miniature'. I must admit to having not read the description of the book as 'cute, compact gift book', but even then, in my defence I would not have expected a book the size of which would not look out of place on a pixie's mantelpiece now, would I?
Tonight I made pizzas - bases and everything, and happily guzzled three glasses of wine. I have to work early tomorrow morning and am toying with the idea of going swimming first, but the over-consumption of alcohol may not prove helpful in the plan of dragging myself out of bed and out into ever-cooler morning air.
Today I gave the Daisy ripple blanket to - well, Daisy, actually, for her birthday, and she seemed to really like it. She said that purple was her favourite colour and when I left, it was draped like a shroud across her father's cocktail cabinet. (don't ask).
Took Oliver along to golf this morning and was approached by the chap who ran the junior course he attended recently about the idea of Oliver completing a more advanced course with a view to becoming a member and playing next spring. This is something Mark and I were thinking of anyway, and I am sure that the club is very keen to encourage more juniors along anyhow, but seemed genuinely keen to impress on me how quickly Oliver has made excellent progress in just two weeks and in any case, it is always very lovely to hear your child described as an 'asset' in any given situation.
Anyhoo, I have a Linwood Barclay to tuck myself up with until an exhausted and too-brief sleep claims me.
Laters.

This did make me laugh! Been there with this myself especially with books and not just their size. I ordered a vintage copy of something that turned out to be a lot less vintage than anticipated and completely pointless as a result as the whole point was the edition in question. Internet shopping is wonderful but there are hidden pitfalls! Is the Hummingbird cupcake and muffin book any good despite its pixie size?! Have heard lots of good reports of Hummingbird recipes. Well done to Oliver for his golfing prowess - really nice to get outside recognition like that. E x
ReplyDeletethe (incredibly small) book is very good, despite needing binoculars to see the measurements correctly ha ha. x
ReplyDeleteI had the same problem when my online Tesco shop delivered 6 small bottles of fizzy water when I expected large ones...and also a Queen of Hearts stamo which was the size of a stamp but my brain had told me it would be playing card size of course!!!
ReplyDeleteI have similar TVissues with Aircrash Investigation and the like, so Col got me a tablet so I can blog in front the TV and he can watch while I tap away... trying to give up internet browsing so much now and get back to scrapbooking.. how did your day go by the way? Xx
That happens to me quite a lot! I imagine things to be bigger/better than they actually are. Perhaps we are just natural optimists?!
ReplyDelete