We are preparing for a little break-ette. With this in mind, I have purchased some holiday reading;
I do love a bit of tawdry rag to read when in the holiday spirit. I particularly enjoy features on girly dimwits and their wrongdoings, and 'when bad clothes happen to good people'. Ha ha. Always raises a chuckle that one. I should like to make it quite clear that I do not, in my normal persona, buy these magazines. It is a holiday treat only. I share the awfulness out upon my return by giving these magazines to my mother.
The Christmas one looks pretty exciting though. Fa la la la laa, la la la laa.
Further break-ette prep has involved yet another attempt to 'get' songs onto Oliver's ipod, which I seem startlingly shit at. He has been asking me to get 'Big In Japan' by Alphaville onto it for him (that's my little 80's boy), for ages, and today I did it. I also simultaneously managed to delete every other song that was already on there. I experienced that horrible lurch that you get when you realise that the thing you have just done is not a good thing. I went to find Oliver to tell him that I got Big In Japan for him. But now that it is the only song he has. The incredulity on his face quickly gave way to tears. I am such a crap mother.
So now, not only do I have to brave Mark's fury that I have dared to download itunes onto the computer without telling him first, I have to confess to buggering up Oliver's ipod. I know which will annoy him the most. Poor Oliver. I think I will be spending the evening trying to 'get' some more tunes.
A friend I haven't seen for a while came for coffee this morning (yes, I do actually have a real bona fide friend who wished to spend coffee time with me). She earned my admiration by telling me a road-rage story about her and another car not being prepared to reverse for each other to pass in a narrow road. She, over halfway down this steep road, felt it not unreasonable to expect the driver coming in the opposite direction to just drop back into the car park from whence he came. The other driver (and his apparently foul-mouthed wife) decided he was not prepared to do this. The wife was effin' and jeffin' at my friend (with her kids in the back of the car), and my friend also had her kids with her. Said friend got out of the car, silently wrote down the other car's registration and then with a pointing finger and a parental voice said 'I am going to call the Police, and report you. How dare you speak to me like that.'
The wife's mouth apparently closed like a trap and the car was swiftly reversed.
Respect.
I don't normally have much time for reading magazines and tend to feel guilty about buying them - some of them are SO expensive for what they are - but holidays give blissful permission to do what the rest of the time we don't and there's something about the anticipatory pleasure of buying a selection of easy and frivolously enjoyable holiday reading before going away that is all its own. Go for it and the more frivolous the better! As to the iPod business - I think you are one brave mother to have a go at the downloading thing. I find the synching of these various devices and downloading stuff quite frankly an impenetrable maze - not to be entered without a search party alerted in advance. Tried to update the software on my phone the other day, for example, only to get an incomprehensible error message from iTunes. On application to H he came in, twiddled about with the phone for a few seconds, told me he'd done it remotely and laughed at me for being so behind the times that I didn't realise that this is how updates for the phone are now done. Well, where did it say that in the manual? And come to think of it there is no manual any more. I likes things written down clearly so I knows what's what! You have my sympathy! I hesitate to say this as I don't want to raise false hope but it's possible that the songs that were previously on the iPod are not lost forever if you know where to look.
ReplyDeleteE x
PS I notice one of your magazines has a subtitle "Christmas Makes" - it's getting to that time of year when if one wants to give anything homemade one's got to get skating. Been pondering a few ideas this week - let me know if there's anything good!
Wow respect indeed! Well done your friend!
ReplyDeleteI'm a failure with my ipod too. I did exactly the same but I'm thinking that if the original list is still in the itunes folder on the computer I might be able to put it back on my ipod again? Hmmm...I live in hope. ;)
Jess xx
I do the Christmas magazine thing, too, although I don't know why because they often recycle the exact photos and articles from previous years!
ReplyDeleteipods can be pesky but if you upload everything into itunes then it's all there to re-sync when needed.